Thursday, February 2, 2012

today tonight tomorrow

Classes are excellent. In my social context for development class, we've talked about different social institutions that are addressed and contribute to development. It's a lot of stuff that I've never even thought about before. I'm realizing through this class and the issues in peacekeeping class just how interconnected my desire to end genocide is with maintaining, growing, and changing societies... and how development is sort of a precursor to peace. I don't fully understand all of it, but all the objectives of Christian development, or basically moving a community forward by principles of the Kingdom of heaven, all point  to a place where hostility ends and reconciliation can be facilitated.

Today was a per diem day, which means GoED gives us a few thousand francs and we're allowed to get out and buy some food at a restaurant in Kigali. A group of us went out looking for Shokola, a place I found online, but ended up at Camilla's (I can't remember if that's what it was called), a Rwandan buffet. For the equivalent of about four dollars I loaded up a plate and gorged on delicious food out on the front porch, cars, taxis, motos, and buses driving by. Rwandans laughing, talking, and strolling up and down the street.

Tonight I went bowling with Kevin, Ryan, Jordon, and Nathan from Procom. It was a fun night. We went to the only bowling alley in Rwanda and bowled two games. The electricity went out for about half an hour between games.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to ride around Kigali and interview different pastors, priests, or whoever else from different churches in the city. Next Thursday I have a group presentation with Ally and Nicoya about the role of the Church in the genocide, and we're hoping to get some first hand knowledge or testimony. Who knows what the day holds!


No comments:

Post a Comment