Saturday, January 14, 2012

from earlier today


Well, I made it this far. I'm sitting in the airport at Addis Ababa in Ethiopia after a 13 hour flight. I think I slept a little bit, but for the most part I was reading and writing. It is certainly becoming more real to me that I'm here… maybe not that I'm living here for the next four months, but certainly that I'm here. 

The trip over was good. It really didn't feel like I spent 13 hours in a plane. It felt like I spent maybe six or so. I read from the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan, and it certainly messed with my sense of purpose, my anticipation for the next few months, and is helping me to look seriously at the faith I profess. It really will be an interesting process of transformation. I can't wait to be embarking on this journey… I wrote in my journal how crazy it is that I'm already experiencing profound spiritual questions and inspiration, and I haven't even gotten off the plane yet. 

I am off the plane now though. Our flight to Kigali has been delayed so we're waiting in terminal 1, gate 10 of the airport. I have had some great conversations with the others in the group. I suspect they will be intriguing, engaging, and generally excellent people to live with. And fun too! 

It was truly amazing flying in. I spent last semester working on artwork based on landscapes in Sudan, and to see similar geographical framework coming down from thousands of feet up was inspiring. instead of looking at maps from google, I'm looking at the terrain itself. Instead of imaging the African air, I'm stepping off the plane and breathing deep! It felt good to be off that plane and basking in the sun in open air. 

Fun fact: people smoke in this airport, even though it says no smoking. I love it. I don't smoke, but I think it's funny that people are just like "whatevs man" and lighting up. 

That's all I have for now. I will post again when we've settled into the house after our flight to Kigali.  

1 comment:

  1. Arfie, keep up the blogging: so good to hear from you already! I remember that thing about smoking from Nepal also. I was like, wait, doesn't the sign say...? People in the rest of the world aren't as uptight.

    Glad to hear you're enjoying your groupies, and you'll have to tell us more about how Francis Chan works in concert with your African experience to rock your world. Praying for you!

    Love, your brother

    ReplyDelete